When does Bits Station collect my personal information?
You may provide personal information to Bits Station in one of four ways: (1) by sharing your e-mail address when subscribing to our newsletter, (2) by sharing personal information when you submit news tips to our editorial team or by submitting a report via our Contact Form, (3) by sharing personal information when you post comments on our posts or stories, (4) by participating in a survey where an email address is requested. We may also ask for other information at other times but at no time will you be required to share any personal information to gain complete access to our site. Bits Station is an open community but email addresses are requested to participate in some of our member-only features.
In addition to basic contact information, our analytics trackers may also collect information that is in no way personally identifiable. This may include the operating system you are working on, the Internet browser you are using, and the screen resolution of your computer.
How does Bits Station use my personal information?
Depending on the portion of our site that you have subscribed to, we may use your information in a number of ways.
- The email address you provided through our newsletter subscription form enables us to send you a daily digest of Bits Station news stories. This subscription is entirely opt-in by the user. (We cannot subscribe you to the newsletter as you personally must have access to the email account in order to verify the subscription.) Subscribers can opt-out of our newsletter at any time by clicking the “Unsubscribe” link that is present on every email at the very bottom of the newsletter.
- The email address that you use when contacting us with an editorial tip or via our Contact Form will not be used for any reason but for the purposes of responding to your inquiry.
- The email address associated with your account when you comment on our stories may be used in conjunction with contests and promotions hosted on Bits Station’s website to notify you if you have won. Email addresses provided in comments are not used for any other reason.
- If you choose to comment on Bits Station stories through Twitter and/or Facebook Connect, we do not get access to your email address nor do we have any access to your personal data or private information.
- We may at times request your participation in a survey. We will not provide your email addresses to any third party but may contact you via them to distribute prizes in associated giveaways.
When you sign up for our updates or receive e-mail messages from Bits Station, you will always be given the chance to opt-out of our communications. You may change your preferences at any time and will only be contacted in manners consistent with your stated preferences.
Non-personally identifiable information (such as stated above) may be shared in aggregate form with our advertisers or marketing partners but your personally identifiable information will never be disclosed to them.
Who else has access to my personal information?
The ads appearing on Bits Station’s website are delivered to you by Google Ads, our Web advertising serving partners. Information about your visit to this site, such as number of times you have viewed an ad (but not your name, address, or other personal information), is used to serve ads to you on this site. And, in the course of serving advertisements to this site, third party advertisers may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser. For more information about Google Ads, cookies, and how to “opt-out”, please go to http://www.google.com/intl/en/privacy/
Is there anything else I should know about my privacy and Bits Station?
Any information you disclose voluntarily on our comments page or in any properties hosted by Bits Station becomes public information. Bits Station.com is a public forum. We cannot control the action of our site users and advise you to use your discretion in sharing information about yourself on the Internet. All information sharing is optional and done so at your own risk. Privacy is a very personal matter and we encourage you to be careful and responsible when disclosing personal information online.
Bits Station Comment Policy
We never censor comments based on political or ideological point of view or of a critical nature. We reserve the right to delete those comments that are off-topic, “spammy” in nature, abusive, use excessive foul language, or include ad hominem attacks.
Once a comment is made public on the Bits Station website, we will not remove it by request. As a user, you are responsible for your own communications and are responsible for the consequences of their posting.